For those of you familiar with the Today Show, you may know of the segment called Rossen Reports. It’s during this segment that Jeff Rossen, investigative correspondent, talks about the newest gadgets, money saving tips, and public awareness on a multitude of issues.
Last month, I was pleasantly surprised to watch Rossen’s topic of discussion, “How to Avoid a Gas Explosion: 5 Tips that can Save Your Life”. This report was conducted after numerous gas explosions occurred throughout the U.S these last few weeks. In the event that you were to smell gas within your home or hear a leaky hissing sound, Rossen suggest you follow these
5 Gas Safety Tips From The Rossen Report
1. Check the Stove
Without noticing, we can accidently bump into our stove knobs causing the gas burners to turn on. I can honestly say this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Check your stove to make sure all knobs are in the “Off” position.
2. Keep Lights Off
In the event of a gas leak, turning on lights may spark an explosion. It is suggested to always have a flashlight handy, with backup batteries.
3. Open Doors and Windows
It is important that there is proper ventilation when suspecting a gas leak within your home. Improper ventilation could lead to an explosion or even cause death by carbon monoxide poisoning.
4. Know Your Home
Know where the gas meter is located and know how to turn it on and off.
5. Get Out
Always have an evacuation plan! Far more important than your home, is your life. Make sure you and your loved ones evacuate the home and get to a safe meeting place before dialing 9-1-1
More Home Safety Tips To Keep You Safe
Home security extends beyond systems so along with these suggested tips, here are a few others we suggest in order to keep you and your family safe and sound!
Be Aware of CO
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 people die and roughly 4,000 people are admitted into the hospital due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning each year. Because Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, it can be difficult to detect. Many Home Security Monitoring Systems on the market provide Carbon Monoxide Sensors. These sensors trigger any influx of Carbon Monoxide in the air and notify homeowners immediately.
Practice Fireplace Safety
As the weather gets colder, fireplace use will increase. If you own a gas fireplace, make sure the gas button is turned off when not in use. If your home is equipped with a natural wood burning fireplace, make sure the chimney is clear of debris and that there is proper ventilation for smoke to exit the home. We recommend that if you have not used your fireplace in awhile; get it serviced before using it this winter season. In addition, make sure all fire/smoke detectors are in proper working order. Check out Frontpoint for specials on fire/smoke detectors that notify responders in the case of an emergency.
Professionally Install Major Appliances
After purchasing new appliances, make sure you have them professionally installed. It is important to have new appliances, especially gas ranges/stoves installed by skilled professionals. This will ensure that all gas lines are securely fastened and reduce the risk of a gas leak.
Don’t Run Your Car Indoors
Never run your car or truck in the garage. Many of us will try to escape the cold this winter by parking in the garage. Be careful not to leave your car or truck running; doing so can cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
For more home safety information visit Home Security & Safety Tips